Our Middle school focuses on building the best of existing standards, the Common Core State Standards provide clear and consistent learning goals to help prepare students for high school and beyond. The standards clearly demonstrate what students are expected to learn at each grade level, so that every parent and teacher can understand and support their learning. As we move towards being a STEAM school, a strong focus is on technology as well. Learning is based on:
- Research and evidence based
- Clear, understandable, and consistent
- Aligned with college and career expectations
- Based on rigorous content and the application of knowledge through higher-order and thinking skills
- Built upon the strengths and lessons of current standards
- Emphasizing critical thinking and class discussions about concepts
- Preparing students for global competition
Math: The Common Core concentrates on a clear set of math skills and concepts. Students will learn concepts in a more organized way both during the school year and across grades. The standards encourage students to solve real-world problems.
English:The Common Core asks students to read stories and literature, as well as more complex texts that provide facts and background knowledge in areas such as science and social studies. Students will be challenged and asked questions that push them to refer back to what they’ve read. This stresses critical-thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills that are required for success in college, career, and life.
Science:A three dimensional teaching approach where high-quality science education is being taught meaning that students will develop and in-depth understanding of content and develop key skills—communication, collaboration, inquiry, problem solving and flexibility—that will serve them throughout their educational and professional lives.